First Load of 10,000 Syrian Refugees Arrive in New Orleans Right Before Paris Terrorist Attacks (UPDATED)

First Load of 10,000 Syrian Refugees Arrive in New Orleans Right Before Paris Terrorist Attacks (UPDATED)

*UPDATE* 11/16 5pm PST:

While the White House plans to resettle a total of 10,000 Syrian refugees throughout the United States during the 2016 fiscal year, the U.S. State Department reported only 14 Syrian nationals have resettled in Louisiana since Jan. 1. 

NOLA.com reports the State Department’s Refugee Processing Center handled three cases, settling seven refugees in Kenner, six in New Orleans and one in Baton Rouge, a spokesperson said.

Seven Syrian refugees arrived in Louisiana in April, and another resettled in June.  Six more refugees arrived in November, according to processing center data.

The flood of refugees migrating from the terror in Syria and Afghanistan has begun to have a trickle effect in the New Orleans area.

The first transport of refugees arrived in New Orleans recently and will be resettled in Louisiana and 180 other American communities.

According to the French news wire Agence France-Presse, the 10,000 Syrian refugees are first flown to the United States with the State Department paying the International Organization for Migration (IOM) for the airfare.

Then, once the refugees arrive in the country, they could be dispersed across the 180 cities listed above, where they are to aided within the first 30 to 90 days in settling and finding employment in the area.

After approximately 90 days, refugees are no longer eligible for the State Department-funded support that they were receiving through migrant and refugee services. However, they are able to join support programs through the Department of Health and Human Services.

It is unclear how much the screening process for the 10,000 Syrian refugees will cost American taxpayers, although The State Department spent $1.1 billion resettling people from around the world in the country last year — which is about $16,000 per person.

When WVUE Fox 8 News asked former New Orleans FBI chief and anti-terrorism expert Jim Bernazzani if he believes this is a legitimate concern, he responded, “If I was in charge of ISIL, logistically I’d take advantage of this situation and put my people in, into the United States.”

FOX 8 WVUE New Orleans News, Weather, Sports, Social

Bernazzani added, “Now with that said, the FBI is on top of this big time with our Joint Terrorism Task Force and we have what’s called a Terrorist Screening Center that these individuals will be run through.”

However, not every refugee seeking admission to the U.S. would face the same scrutiny.

“It’s going to be the 18- to 45-year-old male for the most part,” he said. “It’s a percentage game. It’s not fail-safe, but it’s a percentage game.”

Leave a Reply

*

Show Buttons
Share On Facebook
Share On Twitter
Share On Google Plus
Share On Reddit
Contact us
Hide Buttons